Saturday, March 26, 2011

Off the Fence

I don't have a group, or a game, steady or otherwise. But, since gaming is my hobby, I doggedly pursue it. My "focus" shifts about, here and there, as new ideas (mine and others') demand exploration.
Currently, I am quite enamored of the retro-clones. Being a 35 year plus veteran, they speak directly to me. The one with the loudest voice is the WhiteBox Edition of Swords & Wizardry. It is part of the S&W family, sibling to Core, and most recently, Complete.
I had been on the fence between WB and Core. They are extremely close relatives, almost indistinguishable from one another. But WB is the purer of the two, and thus, pulled harder. My first thought was to use the simpler WB mechanics and graft the expanded spell lists and monsters from Core onto it. But I may as well "play" (since I have no group) Core if I did that. So, I have a new solution.
I'll work with WB (and my houserules) pretty much as-is. I'll hold the monster book and spelllists for Core as DM-only resources. Curve-ball monsters and fabled spells. I think this is a solutions I can work with. If only I had a regular game . . .
=-=-=-=-=
Powered by Blogilo

No comments:

Post a Comment