Sunday, October 14, 2012

DCC: 2nd Impressions

I've finished reading the classes, and I am really digging what they've done. In no particular order, here are some of the things that caught my eye:

  • Clerics seem like a unique class, rather than a sort of Fighter/Magic-user. They are mechanically tied to their deity (and not just with the lame ass areas of power or whatever it was called). There are real mechanical consequences for a cleric pissing off his deity, which I think is awesome. Equally awesome is that the clerics spells are fundamentally different from wizard spells because of the Disapproval mechanic. I have always thought that the cleric shouldn't memorize his prayers like a magic-user does his spells. It makes no sense for the cleric to wake up in the morning and think "Hmm, I think I might need to pray for some food later today. Better memorize the prayer for that. " I've always thought the cleric's spells should be more like very specific god-calls, and that's pretty much the way this game portrays them.
  • The warrior's Deeds die has been talked about a LOT, so I won't go into detail. I'll just say that I love the idea of the fighter being able to try anything. One of the things I detested about Feats was the notion that I had to give up ten things in order to do one. Not so with Deeds. Total flexibility and ease of use. Win-win.
  • Wizards and the magic system ROCK. I can totally see playing an Elric-type character under these rules. Wizards are tied to a patron, whether that patron is an evil god, an elemental force, or a demon from the Pit. They can also call directly on their patron for aid, but at a price. Blood and souls for my lord, Arioch!
  • The race-as-class demi-humans look interesting and, more importantly, fun. Too often they look like an exercise in tit-for-tat, and any real thought about them is an after-thought. These seem fun, but still balanced.
All in all, I am as excited by this game as I have been since I first played Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. So far, this seems like a set of rules I could either play or run and never have to worry about being pumped up and ready for the next session. Everything I've read so far just screams FUN! I can't wait to read more.


3 comments:

  1. Sounds great. Do you need the (extra) weird dice, or can it be played with my usual set of seven weird dice? I'm not sure if I'd be able to get DCC dice here in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy, Lee. You don't need the weird dice at all. The only wonky thing is the d7 and d14. The d3 is obvious enough with a d6. The d5 is half a d10, like 1-2 = 1, 2-3 = 2, and so on. The best solution for the d7 is roll a d8 and re-roll 8's. Not too cool, but much easier than trying to procure a d7. The d14 is a d7 rolled along with a d6. If the d6 comes up 1-3, do nothing more, read the d7 as it rolled. If the d6 comes up 4-6, add +7 to the d7 roll. The d16 is the same, but with a d8, and add +8 if the d6 is 4-6. Lastly is the d30. Roll a d10 and a d6. If the d6 is 1-2, read the d10 as-is. If it is 3-4, add +10, and if it is 5-6, add +20. It's not nearly as complicated as it reads. When I first started playing the "d20" had 20 sides, but they were numbered 0-9 twice. We simulated the d20 with the d6 "adder" like I give you here, so I am completely familiar with the method.

      Delete
  2. The weird dice are needed but you can getaway with a spinner or a set of cards.

    ReplyDelete